Friday, January 23, 2015

Functional Friday - A Base for Another Die

Hi all! Time for another Functional Friday installment. In case you missed the post, I'm featuring one die from Top Dog Dies each month, and each Friday I'm sharing a different way to use the die. My hope is that even if you don't own that exact die, the ideas will translate to similar dies you do own.


This technique uses one die as a base for another die. To maximize this effect, the die you pick for the base should have a very dense pattern.



First I cut the Heart Border Die,


and used that to die cut the Dotted Border Tag.


The result is a very holey tag! I call this the "swiss cheese look". Perfect for layering, since everything below it will show through. You can add other dies, embellishments, sequins, etc. to the top of it.


Here it is as an actual tag on a present.


This time, I didn't pair it with another tag, I just left it so you can see through the holes to the present underneath. I love how it looks in person ... it's a different way to make your gift stand out.


Here's the same tag and ribbon on a kraft card base. Only the top of the tag is adhered, so you can really show off the holes on the bottom.

Well, so far we've seen the Heart Border Die used as a home for a stitched heart, as a background, and as a base for another die. Next Friday we'll look at a different way to use this die!

Thanks again for visiting Functional Friday! 
-Kelly

14 comments:

  1. So pretty, Kelly! I love the lattice look, especially against kraft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, Kelly! You ROCK! Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coolest idea and designs, Kelly!! Love how you rock this Top Dog dies! Happy Friday indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this great tip! I love your wonderful tags!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool idea and fabulous designs!! Love the way u used the dies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have thought to use a die like that as a tag, so thanks for the inspiration, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly what a great tip, love how you always think outside the box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...what a fabulous idea! So beautiful and just so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I LOVE it as a tag! Such pretty projects Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You blew me away again, Kelly! Your inventive eye always surprises me. What a great idea to cut the die cut with a tag shaped die. Thanks, this will show up on my projects for sure!
    Take care. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving this feature, Kelly. It's like a little peek into your creative brain, and really gets my creative juices flowing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the lacy tags that you created here, what a great way to combine dies!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly