Friday, January 9, 2015

Functional Friday - Hollywood Regency Valentine

Hi all! I'm very excited to start a new feature on my blog ... Functional Fridays

You may know that I LOVE to think of different ways to use products. Honestly, I am easily distracted, so it helps me be creative if I can just focus on one supply (stamp/die/tool/etc.) and then exhaust the possibilities of it.

Now that I've joined the Top Dog Dies Design Team and will be posting every Friday, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to feature one die for the month in a more structured format. Each Friday I'll post a project that's been made with the die, and at the end show a collage of the different projects. We all like getting mileage out of our supplies, so I figured chances are good that someone out there would be interested in a series like this.

Sound good? I sure hope so!! : )

Here we go ...


 
 This card uses the Heart Border Die cut in a matte gold paper. I really wanted to take advantage of all those tiny holes, so I used this as a guide for a basic stitching project. The style that I was going for on this card is ...
  
source

  Hollywood Regency. 

Black, matte gold, simple lines, but with some flair thrown in ... love this style for something a little different.


In keeping with this style, I chose a ribbon (really sold as a skein for knitting purposes, but SO much more economical than ribbon sold by the yard) with Hollywood Regency style colors and stitched an outline of a heart. It helped to sketch this out ahead of time so I could see what it would look like. I just die cut a sample heart border from copy paper and used a pencil to mark where the ribbon would go. Then I filled the inside of the heart with long stitches. Very easy.


The elegant nature of this style also calls for a tall card, but I like sticking to the standard 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" size so I just made the panel tall. Hopefully that gives a similar effect. The sentiment (CAS-ual Fridays Smitten) is perfect for this vintage Valentine, as I think "smitten" was probably used in the 1930's. I'm so happy when a sentiment ties in with a card like this!

Thanks for stopping by, and I look forward to sharing another project made with the Heart Border Die next Friday!
-Kelly

14 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Kelly, I'm always inspired by your creative and innovative ideas! Gorgeous card ... chic, elegant ... and so much lovely texture! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm most definitely, interested in Functional Fridays! That mind of yours is quite amazing! ;) Just look at your card...STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that die in gold and love how you created the heart, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will look forward to seeing the different ideas you have for this die, Kelly. I always love your creativity and unique way of looking at things. This card is very regal and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First that die is to DIE for! I love it and what you did with it. Second...this is so creative and I am looking forward to your Friday posts now, it is always fun learning new ways to do things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kelly!! Such a pretty card. I love the black and gold. That heart is amazing too!! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously smitten with your card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a creative way to use that die! I love the black bg, it really brings out your entire design!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab card! I'm definitely looking forward to your new series, especially because you are the queen of innovation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah! Totally looking forward to this. You rock dies! Smitten with your card, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so cool!! You totally rock this die

    ReplyDelete
  12. another brilliant use, I love this you genius!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is uber fantastic! The border die is such a cool one! Way to make that stitched heart! Love this new feature of yours! Look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly