Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Surprise Birthday Hop for Shay!! + My First-Ever Video



Shay from Winnie & Walter is just about the most thoughtful person ever (well, except for perhaps her counterpart, Julie) so I'm super excited to have the opportunity to show her some love on her birthday by participating in this special blog hop. 


I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Shay in person at CHA last month and got to spend two wonderful days hanging out with her and Julie. Man, does she know the industry! She was really able to fill in the blanks for me on people and products. She's very passionate about our hobby, and it really shows in everything she does.

The only thing I am more impressed with is how kind and thoughtful Shay is. Whether it's including surprises in packages like pretty sequins, handwritten notes, encouraging words OR A KELLY GRIGLIONE STAMP SET (no kidding, I will have to share this with you in another post!) she always puts a huge smile on my face. I am so thankful to have met her through our wonderful community!


The card I designed for Shay is based on a really neat Cosmo Cricket line which will be released soon that we fell in love with at CHA ... Just Add Watercolor. There are canvases with gold resist elements, and you can watercolor the remaining canvas as you like. One of the samples was a gold geometric pattern with pink and red watercolored areas. For Shay's card, I tried to recreate this look by stamping the solid line from the new Winnie & Walter Scenery: Stripes stamp set that was just released and embossing it in gold.


Then I watercolored the various shapes. I didn't have to be super careful about staying within the lines since the embossed line was thick enough to corral the watercolor. The sentiment is from another new set, The Big, the Bold and Party. That got moved around a few times before I landed on one of the large vertical lines to anchor it on. I decided to cut off the bottom of the whole panel to have the base of the card show through. I may have closed my eyes and said a prayer while trimming the bottom 1/4 inch off, lest it turn out to be a big, regrettable mistake. Anyone?!


The inside is finished off with the heart (watercolored and gold-embossed) and "Love You" from The Write Stuff: Love Story, and "kisses" from You've Got Love Mail.


Here's the new Cosmo Cricket catalog with this gorgeous design on their back cover. You can see how I darn near copied the whole thing! Why mess with a good thing?

So before I end this post, I have a little something extra to share. I told Julie that I would put on my big-girl panties and post my first-ever video, in the form of a birthday greeting to Shay.

Ugh.

I dreaded this for weeks. 


Apparently, when I'm nervous, I lose any semblance of speaking at a level higher than a 5th grader, and pull out the incredibly descriptive adjective "great" four too many times. But who's counting. Shay, you know this was made with lots of love : )

Anyway, on with the show! It's my pleasure to send you over to the super-inspirational Mayuri who has more birthday wishes to share!

Shay, I hope you have an amazing birthday today. As wonderful as last year was, I know this year is going to be an even bigger success for you!

Big hugs,
Kelly

44 comments:

  1. You are super sweet and I love your video!! Hoping for more :)
    Your card is gorgeous, Shay will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet Kelly!!! LOVE your card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this - but that wouldn't surprise you! Nice to see and hear you in the midst of a Chicago winter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, dear Kelly! I Ioved your video and it's awesome seeing you again. Yay! Your card is spectacular and I adore everything thing about it (the inside is amazing too). Even better the card reminded me of you and spending time with you at CHA last month which was one the best things about the whole weekend. :-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, there. Your first of MANY, please! The card you've created is so incredibly beautiful!!! And your weather looks just as miserable as ours here in Spring Lake, Michigan...
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the card and the gold and coral colors together are beautiful. The video is awesome! sending you warm *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute are you in this video!! Terrific card today Kelly, love the beautiful colors and gold lines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing card. Love the geometric, clean design...and the heart felt sentiments. Sweet of you to do your 1st video ever as a birthday greeting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the geometric and the way you did the inside of your card. Fun video too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally AWESOME card! Great pic and video, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eek, I have some of this paper at my house...I'm all nervous about using it because it's so pretty and I don't want to screw it up! I love your card though and love that the inside is just as pretty as the outside, and what a fun video greeting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card and SO nice to see you girl!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your card and what a brave girl you are. Proud of you! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You gave me a laugh, in a very good way, at your self-deprecation!! I love the card, of course, and the video--both are truly GREAT to the 5th power!! (I just realized I said "Great to see you" so I am editing!!) Awesome to see and hear you. Thanks for your lovely long message over at my site. I have ALL my cards and packages on the dining table and am getting ready to address and send.... so something will sail through the air toward your frigid way soon! Yikes, I don't miss those winters!! Love Paper Source envelopes and colors!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible likeness to that catalog! Good for you for making a video, you brave girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How adorable!! Fabulous card. I love the fun geometric design!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous gorgeous card Kelly, love the gold detail and the inside is amazing. You are are too cute! Love that you put on some big girl pants! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning, Kelly ... I love the gold lines with that lovely soft watercolour ... it's Pinned (and probably CASEd at some stage in the future!) Loved your video ... hope it's the start of many! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Big, happy SIGH! This is so amazing and beautifully executed (as always)! Love the vid and hope to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your rendition of "Just Add Water" card! Gorgeous and so geometric--prefect! Your cute little video is a delight! I miss listening to your mid-Western accent! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol you're so cute in your video to her!!! this card is awesome and the inside is even more beautiful!!! how thoughtful of you <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG Your video was LOL you really are adorable. I love your card it is definitely a big WOW!! You totally came up with one unique, clever and creative idea I love it. Love too the way you did the inside of Shay's card. You really did make quite the personal tribute to Shay. YOU SO ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the gold on this gorgeous birthday card! Loved your first ever video as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. SO WONDERFUL to see and hear you Kelly - here's hoping we get to see a LOT MORE of you now :)
    ADORE the GORGEOUS card you created for Shay - LOVE IT ALL, inside & out!!!
    THANK YOU for sharing your FUN & FABULOUS CREATIVE INSPIRATION!!!
    PS - trimming the bottom panel was the perfect finishing touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very neat card. I love the design alot. wonderful job and Shay will love it.. The inside is wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Totally BRILLIANT!!!!!!! Love the GOLD, the light colors PERFECTION!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a totally gorgeous card ..!! Loved your video too :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a gorgeous card love the gold and the way you were inspired. Love your video too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous card and video Kelly! Love your sweet note inside the card and how you CASE'd that awesome Cosmo Cricket paper ;-)...So jealous that you guys have met each other! Hope I can meet you one day too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well, of course you made your own version of the Cosmo Cricket line of GORGEOUS and innovative products! Do you get how talented you are, Kelly? Love your design and your sweet video for Shay. Stay warm. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful car inside and out! It really shows your creativity and kind heart. Love the video, I'd love to see more coming. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well, well, Kelly,. You have your first video under your belt. It was great (lol) and so is your card, a perfect replica of your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What? A Kelly stamp set? Yes, I noticed the teaser that you slipped in there.Can't wait to see it!
    Great video too. I hope you'll be doing more. And that card!!! Gorgeous! I love your creativity, Kelly. It's fresh and fun and yet has class as well. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my....this is just one amazing card. I love all the embossed gold and the pretty shades of pink.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful, beautiful card Kelly!! I love your video, you should do more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are just too darn cute, Kelly!! And great! I don't think you can ever overuse that word when it is appropriate like, for instance, for Shay or, like, for instance, this card!! Actually, great is not good enough for your card, spectacular is more what I have in mind!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly