Friday, October 18, 2013

Fusion #20 - We're Going Quite Literal Here!!!

(for my CFC post, please scroll down, or click here)


I was having trouble coming up with an idea based on this week's photo for the Fusion Challenge. Usually I try to think of something other than the obvious. This time I gave in, and went with the obvious. Although I'm hoping my extreme usage of obviousness makes it kinda different. KWIM?

 

      
Another reason I went with the literal is because I have those Anthropologie bowls ... 5 different shades (one of them is actually about this color orange). LOVE, love them. So much more fun to have my cereal in than our chipped white bowls.


Anyway, it was fun to make these orange note cards. I die cut a circle and then covered the whole thing in Versamark so I could have a layer of clear embossing. The spotty, shiny texture is just what I was after for the orange.

 

The sentiment inside is pieced together with Martha Stewart Create Your Own Stamp Set. The reviews for this are horrible, but I think you really have to be someone who enjoys stamping and wants the flexibility to put together a specific sentiment. It's not for the average crafter who wants to make her own wedding invitations. That said, I also have some of the expansion sets and I love it. Especially when you need to make more than one of something, like these cards, it's worth the extra time to set all the letters. 

When I send the cards, I'll finish the sentiment in a script. Like "orange you glad we're friends" or "orange you glad we got stuck in the same, crazy zumba class"


I wrapped brown floral tape around a wire for the stems. The leaves are just cut out, with a curved scoring line to give it some dimension. 

Come by the Fusion Challenge to see what the other talented ladies have created for you:

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

21 comments:

  1. These are awesome! I never would have thought of doing this, but these little orange note cards are perfect! I love the shine of the embossing and the ability to finish the sentiment any way you want. They may be literal, but they're still clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well look at you ~ you even had the bowl!!! Love these Kelly, really really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Killer!!! Love these, and know several little ones who would adore getting these in the mail! Sometimes a literal translation is just what the dr. ordered!!! Very cool. Very sweet. Very clever. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. That embossing was just the right "Kelly touch" it looks real orange skin :) and by the way how did you manage to get the exact same bowl ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Literal, but so cool, the embossing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw... your literal approach is LOVELY!! Orange you glad ( I am glad, too) that I stop by your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute, Kelly! I love how real they look and who wouldn't be happy to get a little note like this! Thanks for the review on the stamp maker. It's definitely something to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BRILLIANT! and thanks for the tip as well ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! Did these ever make me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you were inspired, super cute and versatile cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the texture you got on the oranges. Love these! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE, LOVE the orange peel texture Kelly - FAB cards!
    Perfect for Catered Crop's Orange is the new Black too :)
    http://cateredcrop.com/2013/10/13/orange-is-the-new-black-recipe-swap/

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous literal interpretation of the inspiration. Those oranges make fantastic cards, and I love the look that the embossing adds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So fun and clever! Clear embossing the whole shape really does make it look like an orange...now if only a citrus scent came from it...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Kelly, I cannot BELIEVE those orange note cards!! I kept scrolling between the fusion photo and your photo, thinking wait, are they using Kelly's cards FOR the photo inspiration? I mean it took me a few scrolls to realize the photo ones are the real fruit. Dang, girl! I absolutely thank you for that inspired versamark/clear embossing, too! It's just the PERFECT texture for your oranges!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  16. So super fun! Love how you made these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can't get any more literal than this and I love it! The embossing really makes the orange and, of course, there's the cuteness of the punny sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMGosh I love these! I was thinking where did she get that paper, then I read "versa mark” Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your beautiful bowl of oranges! the embossing really does look like orange peel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are the coolest cards! LOVE the texture on the oranges from the heat embossing. They look so realistic! Orange you clever!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well the idea, sure got you going these are fantastic, knew it wouldn't take you long, you are BRILLIANT, and soooooo creative.. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly