Friday, October 4, 2013

Fusion #19: Hexie "Flower"


I totally fell in love with the photo inspiration for the Fusion #19 challenge, where you can make a card based on the photo, the sketch, or a fusion of both.



If you're interested, here's my thought process on the design as it relates to the elements of the photo:
1) Pink presents => top two rows of hexies
2) White car => bottom two hexies
3) Person standing and talking to driver => vertical black sentiment
4) Draped canvas in background => screen mesh

While I was arranging the elements, I really liked the "flower" made by the negative triangles surrounding the middle hexagon. So I thought my story could be about a bee flying around a flower. That's where the stitched circles came from.


An actual flower is in the middle with a scrap piece of lace for the leaf. You can also see the patterned paper inside of the card.

Come by the Fusion Challenge to see what the other talented ladies have created for you:


Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

20 comments:

  1. Loving the stitching and the mesh, what a great card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Kelly...I've become a huge fan of hexagons (and of your blog), and love the way you've used them - the colours are so pretty! The star shape in the middle is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a fabulous combination of elements, Kelly ... the mesh is so cool, and I love the hexagons with the sewing through them! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved hearing your description of this card. And, it's a beauty just to sit and gaze at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your card and it's always interesting to know how you came up with the idea! SO much fun! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely awesome. I love the hexagons and the stitching is perfection in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fab card- lots of texture and interest for the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving your pink and grey card. I need to do some work with larger hexagons than can be cut with PTI's die. The creative touch of using the sewing to draw the eye around, as well as delineating the bee's path, tickles me pink.

    I've seen plenty of quilts (and even made a couple), but would never have thought to use the hexagons in this configuration. Your grey background helps me notice that the "between space" around the middle hexagon, looks like a Star of David. Hanukkah is on Thanksgiving this year, so I think I'll try making some cards for my friends, keeping your star in mind. Thanks again for sharing (and making it possible to get my PHD in card making. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty, Kelly! I love the round stitching and how it stops at the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is awesome...super love that fun stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a clever interpretation - love the artistic approach you took! The stitching ties everything in together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the sweetest design, Kelly! SO pretty and with the sweetest details! Hey...saw you in my new PaperCrafts mag...GREAT set of cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love everything about this card Kelly. The stitching is so inspired. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another very tough challenge if you ask me but not for you my Friend! oh no!!
    Your card is so cool and contemporary...what a great idea the stitching was, it just gives a more organic feel to the ensemble! very clever indeed!

    Thank You~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the story behind this one and that stitching is scrumptious. I love that Fusion photo, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it, Kelly! Specially the explanation about your creative process. I wouldn't be able to literally explain mine without having to mention some cursing here and there ;)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly