Friday, October 26, 2012

Sweater Jack-O-Lantern Card


OK, I'm really liking this PTI sweater background stamp, it's so versatile! I stamped an entire background in orange and then drew a jack-o-lantern on top of it. Then I figured out which stitches should be cut, and which should be colored brown. Just like counted cross stitch! You could totally do this with a counted cross stitch pattern, as long as it was a one color + black design.  Or you could paper-piece any additional colors.



 It did take awhile to marker over these teeny-tiny stitches. After I colored all the stitches, I drew a thin line down the middle of each stitch with a white gel pen to clean it up a little. Now that I think of it, paper-piecing might have been a little quicker. Next time : )

ETA: Huge thanks to Tracey McNeely who had the brilliant idea to just cut a column off the sweater stamp! Of course, it makes so much sense now that she says that!! I'll have to measure to make sure, but the strip is so long I'm sure it would not matter to cut the last column off. Then I'll have 3 individual stitch stamps. So much easier than using a brown marker. This is exactly why I LOVE this paper crafting community. We all get and give ideas. So darn cool!

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

Supplies used: 
stamps:  PTI Background Basics Striped Sweater
other: brown marker, white gel pen



21 comments:

  1. Kelly, again this is SO cool, you are so creative!! I do find this stamp a little hard to use, the ink doesn't always come off and I know I have it inked good and I press down on all of it. But I do love the warm feeling I get when I look at this stamp. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure brilliance Kelly! I love this look~almost a cross-stitching effect~

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! CLEVER! and a bunch of other words in caps! PS. my house is painted in Edgecomb gray by Benjamin Moore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!! You marked the colors for the pumpkin? This is totally adorable! I am mesmerized by your creativity!You sure make the stamp WORK! So glad that you join the fun with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are so creative! I can tell you love your new stamp and that makes me happy. Its so fun to get a stamp that we love. Your pumpkin is just adorable! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so FUN! Clever,clever girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A labor of love and well worth the time and effort because this is fabulous! Seriously, Kraft cardstock was made for clean & simple designs! Your card has convinced me that I really, REALLY need this new PTI folder! Time to bite the bullet and pay the crazy shipping fees to Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so clever. What a great way to use that new sweater stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so amazing Kelly. When I first looked at this I thought you had cut the stamp to make a single stich! You are so clever and I am totally impressed. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too stinkin' cute! Oh my gosh, Kelly... you have the patience of Job! I love this look and it's like one of those trendy sweaters you might find in stores this time of year. Adorable! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now how AWESOME is this?! I LOVE this!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelly this is so fun and clever and adorable!! I just love it!!! Hope you got your costumes done? Tim and I caught flu 1 week into basketball season so not a lot got done around our house this week...but we did put up some pumpkin lights in the front window all orange and glowey!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing and awesome, each little detail is just great! Anita in France

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it looks brilliant Kelly and I love all the other ideas you've had with the sweater stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cool! You have made me look at this stamp in a new light. The possibilities really ARE endless!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This knit pumpkin is awesome! Great colouring to make the face. Fab card. Thanks for playing along with us @ CAS-ual Fridays:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowza! This is amazing! You are so stinkin' creative...every...single...week! Love, love, love! Thanks so much for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I neeeeeeeeed this background stamp!! This is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, just like making a real sweater - a labour of love! Fabulous! Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just had to come check out what else you have done with the sweater stamp - LOVE this - can't wait to play with mine!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly