Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Happy Colors, Happy Birthday


Such happy colors from the Play Date Cafe this week:


 I wanted to try using only markers for the colors in this challenge.


So I grabbed the three closest in color and started drawing lines at various widths over a masked sentiment. The lines definitely aren't perfect, but the end of one was a lot thicker than the others, so out came the "random" squiggles. I kinda like 'em. It reminds me of those thick sections of thread in a piece of silk.


 Wanting to play some more, I went after a plaid background. Can I tell you how annoyed I am about the pink marker (which has only been used once before) loosing its steam already?! And couldn't this have happened to one of the 20 grays in the set, not the one hot pink marker? Anyway, instead of tossing the card, I decide to finish it anyway. Maybe it can give a flannelish look, or at least a little personality.


 The last card with this color scheme is done with decorative tape and markers. Originally I tried a gray base so the white label would stand out, but the colors looked really dirty with the gray showing through. White it is.

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

Supplies used: 
stamps:  PTI Movers and Shakers Sentiments
dies:  PTI Mat Stack
other: Target Up & Up decorative tape, Spectrum Noir Markers, McGill heart punch, eyelash yarn

11 comments:

  1. WOW!! Great techniques!! Love the background on the 1st one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Love the lines and the plaid! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these bright colours and the use of the markers - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your cards are just gorgeous Kelly! I love your plaid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your variations on a theme! The last one of my favorite , I love patterned tape :) Thanks for playing along with us at The play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you go with ALL those darling cards, love them. Thanks for joining in with us at The Play Date Cafe this week, come again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These just give me a smile Kelly! The last one is my fav ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly these are wonderful , bright , happy cards. Love them all. Sorry it couldn't be your grays. Love the way you used the tape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your colorful cards! Thanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a sucker for these colors and you used them perfectly! I totally see the slubbed silk look in that first card. And that plaid is HOT! The fringe is such a cool and unexpected touch! Great use of the tape on that last card. I am tape-impaired (got it, just don't know how to use it), lol!

    Hope you're having a great week Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Those are all amazing! Can't believe you got so creative with markers! I love the squiggles in the first one, and the plaid is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly