Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Skeleton Cheerleader


 OK, so this may be a tad on the quirky side, but I had a little smile on my face making this skeleton cheerleader tonight. He's got SPIDER WEBS for pom-poms. I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't. It was my turn to host the neighborhood playdate today and I had all the 3rd grade girls doing crafts with the new Mr. Bones PTI set I got in the mail yesterday. Everyone really liked the skeleton, and I thought it would be fun to cut two of them holding hands paper-doll-style. The girls put a third skeleton on top of the original two to make a triangle. "Oh, like those water ski shows?" I asked. "No, like cheerleaders!" they exclaimed. Indeed, they did look like cheerleaders. Then one of the girls put a spider web over the hand for a pom-pom. Brilliant! Because what else would a skeleton cheer with, right? I added a second, off-set spider web behind the first to make it a little rounder like a pom-pom would be, but I think you still get the spider web picture. I used a white gel pen to fill in the middle of the letters in the "Sack The Quarterback" sentiment to tie in with the skeleton.

She's inspired by the colors at Play Date Cafe:


And CASual Friday's off the edge challenge.

ETA: This morning when I saw her again I realized what was off ... "she" didn't look like a girl. So I added a bow to her head.


 A spider bow, of course! It actually has the same shape as a bow, with the spider body where the knot would be, and the curved legs where the loops would be.

This card is inspired by the MIM challenge to use a negative and positive die cut.


More traditional Halloween colors on this one. She seems to have a hunchback, forward leaning stance, like when a cheerleader bends over to put her pom-poms on her knees.


The skeleton is in the negative die cut, and of course the pom-poms are a positive die cut. Makes for some nice dimension. Great technique!


Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

Supplies used: 
stamps:  PTI Mr. Bones, The Paper Company Football, A Muse Sports Words Set
dies:  PTI Mr. Bones
other: white gel pen

17 comments:

  1. This is just the cutest skeleton cheerleader! I think that is so adorable that the group of young girls came up with the idea of web pom poms! Then you came up with the best sentement to go with it. Love both cards so much, Kelly! This is such a fun card and a real smile maker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I am still deciding whether this is all kinds of crazy or all kinds of cool. The design, the colors etc is so magnificent, but the cheerleader aspect has me wondering???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, now how fun are these?!! Thanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute Kelly, I love that you used spider webs for the poms poms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I'm totally grinning over your skeleton cheerleaders!!! In my world quirky is good:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are too much fun Kelly ~ tee hee!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm laughing too hard to type! This is hilarious! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my. I am smiling now. What a cute idea for Mr. Bones, and I love that your little 3rd graders inspired you. Go team!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, this is freakin' hilarious! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow there's a lot of thought gone into this card... it made me laugh out loud :0)
    Thanks for sharing your creativity with us this week at CASual Fridays :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly, how you make me smile! This project is so you. The spider hair bow is just a hoot! Great job. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute and fun, Kelly! You are so creative with the skeleton image! GREAT take on the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is too cute Kelly!! Love the pom poms and spider bow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha love this, this totally made me grin, what a great way to use this stamp set, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is to cute! Great take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hehe this is ssoooooo cute! Love that skeleton image with the spider web pom poms :) Thanks for playing this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know there are dozens of us moms and grand moms copying this way too clever idea of yours. Could not be cuter!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly