Saturday, February 11, 2012

Falling in Love Card [PTI Challenge #7]

The final Anniversary Challenge from Papertrey Ink is to create a card that has a heart in it. So while I was sitting in the theater with the family waiting for Star Wars I 3D to start, I decided I wanted to try a stair step card.


The "falling in love" sentiment ties in with the hearts falling from the tree. "Falling for you" is another option. You may recognize the cardstock from my pop-up card a couple weeks ago. I considered using something else, but I really like the graphic nature of this paper, and that it's green for the grass.


The tree is cut from a thicker cardstock - my husband's comic backing boards. You could also use chipboard, mat board, or probably just layer a couple pieces of cardstock together. I took the photo above to show how the bottom of the tree is narrower than the trunk, so it won't fall through the slit in the base.


Score your 8.5" x 5.5" base at the following increments along the 8.5" side: 2 1/8", 4 1/4", 5 3/8", 6 1/2", 7 1/2". Accordion fold. At the top of the middle mountain fold make a slit as wide as the narrow bottom of your tree.


Slide the tree through the slit. Underneath the base, adhere a dime to each side of the tree. This will help weigh it down and keep it standing straight up.


Punch a bunch of hearts. Punch a small hole in half of them and thread silver wire through to make the hanger. I tried silver thread at first but it was annoying trying to tie the knots on such a small sized project. I think the wire makes it look more contemporary, and different, anyway. Happy accident.


Adhere the other half of the hearts randomly on each level like they have just fallen off the tree. Also you can put a sentiment on the large fold in back.


I think I may keep this one and put it out for Valentine's next year. Or I could give it to my husband, and then keep it to put out for Valentine's next year!


Thanks for looking!

Supply List:
American Crafts Amplified cardstock
PTI Pure Poppy cardstock
PTI Double Ended Banner Die
Old heart punch

Linking to:
UndertheTableandDreaming

2 comments:

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly