Friday, January 17, 2014

CFC #126: Valentine's Day Decor with your Supplies + Embroidery Hoops




Folks, I am super-excited about this one! This may be one of my favorite projects yet. Really. The inspiration is the current 2 week CAS-ual Fridays Challenge to use big blocks of color on your project.

 Before I get into the project details, how do you like my imitation of the hold-your-project-outside-and-crop-your-head-off style of photography of the big-time bloggers? I see photos like this by Rebecca Cooper or this by Dear Lizzy and am utterly charmed. As charming as those photos are, the actual process of getting the photo was not so romantic for me. I wish someone had video taped us ... my 6 year-old, with his boots unzipped because he had to get out of the car in a hurry after me yelling at him to put down your tablet or else, holding the heavy DSLR in a random townhouse parking lot with me trying to explain how to depress the shutter half way before my fingers froze off in the 15 degree weather.

So, wanna see how this came to be, and how I've used it as a Valentine's Day decoration?


 You probably already know this trick, but I didn't until I watched a video. An efficient way to cut images with multiple colors and/or layers is to cut out papers slightly bigger than the size of your image and place them in the right spot on your mat. That way you can get all the cuts in one pass through the machine. I'm also guessing you've noticed the tape on my decidedly unsticky mat. It's quiet pathetic. I just need to buy a new mat!



I purchased several embroidery hoops from Michael's. Arrange the hoops on your floor and lightly mark with a pencil where the intersections are. Wind silver embroidery floss tightly around hoops for about 3/4". The wider you make the bindings, the more stable your structure will be. Mine hangs from a single point and is relatively balanced. 


 For the patterned paper background, cut out a slightly larger circle than the inside hoop and bend paper over the hoop. Using a water brush really helps with this for thicker cardstock. Brush around the circle, wait a couple minutes for the water to soak through, and try again when the paper is more pliable. Trim if necessary. Then sandwich between the two hoops.

Note that the two largest hoops are 14" in diameter ... 2" bigger than 12 x 12 paper! So I used the wallpaper my mom picked up at a garage sale. The red side is the pattern (would this be for a dining room?!?) and the textured cream is the glue side.


Now add your letters! The sentiment is one that maria f. knows well ... it's how Mandi from Vintage Revivals (awesome DIY blog) closes each post. I absolutely love it. It's playful, different, and perfect for a house with two small boys. I've also added a chain of hearts from the CAS-ual Fridays Heart Board Fri-Dies. Let's take a closer look ...


Cut them out of different shades of red, punch two tiny holes at the top of each, and then stitch together.



Inspired by the lovely Wida of Beachorado, here's a gif of the hoops coming together.

Sooooo, wanna see where it ended up? Don't answer, I'll just show you 'cause I'm that excited ...



It's over the fireplace mantle!! I played with having "your" on an angle, but ended up putting it back to being straight. This is why I'm never aggressive with adhesive. Things are always being moved around. I liked it on the brick wall, but it was still missing something. So I took at trip to the basement and came up with some Valentine's Day decorations.


Adore these velvety roses! So happy with how they fill the space and bridge the gap to the mantle. 


I was so excited to come downstairs this morning and see it again!! I'm a total craft dork : ) The stand under the right bunch of roses is a carved souvenir from St. Lucia, without its pointy top. Anything else I tried as a stand was too distracting because it wasn't black. This not only has the black of the bases, but also the naked wood like the embroidery hoops. Incidentally, I considered spray painting the hoops in a nickel finish. Perhaps for the next project. That's another neat thing about this project ... for each holiday or season you want it, just make different circles to put in the hoops. They aren't adhered to anything, so they pop out once you slide the hoops.


Here's my view when I'm on the computer in my squishy corner of the couch. Clockwise, we've got:

* my monitor on the coffee table (ask Logan and his soccer ball why the monitor on my laptop no longer works!!),
* The Lego X-wing displayed on my plant stand (Dr. John would be proud, Virginia!),
* the chartreuse suede curtains I made from fabric sold by a designer giving away high-end inventory at a flea market (like $100/yard for only $5/yard!!),
* my absolute favorite piece from this summer's flea marketing (a 1920's gas station sign in a beautiful weathered frame showing how many miles it takes to get to various cities),
* this project, and
* my super cozy faux fur throw from Pottery Barn (on sale, and then I used my $25 off $50 purchase coupon, score!)

Well, thanks for sticking with my long post. Hope you liked it, even though it's not a card! The talented winner of this challenge will receive a prize from CAS-ual Fridays Stamps!



Can't wait to see your color blocked creations in the CAS-ual Fridays Challenge gallery!

Thanks so much for looking! 
-Kelly

I like to link up to the following parties:

46 comments:

  1. Oh there is sooo much I love about this post Kelly! First the picture of you looks like it came from a magazine......great job Logan or your other son. Love the project of hoops you made....OMGosh that is adorable above your mantle. Thanks for the visit and peek into your room and sharing all your great deals. Wonderful project and great photography !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Kelly, it's INCREDIBLE!WOW on the technique and display!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wall hanging is such a pretty & creative project, and it makes for such beautiful mantel decor! Your room looks so cozy & warm, TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very cool! Love your photos...with the head cut off...picturing your boy fumbling around and you beginning to sweat from the frustration, lol! It was all worth it! Looks amazing on the mantle! I don't know how you come up with these ideas, but it love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun piece! Turned out great, I love the composition of the finished hoops together too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ♡♡shut up♡♡
    beyond amazing!
    thanks for the step by step
    and for the record...YOU are a big-time blogger♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am left with no new words to admire ur creativity... as usual u r amazing and thank you for the photo tutorial, I might try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No words, except YOU ROCK!!! Loved reading your post, so fun!! Great project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun, color blocked project! Love reading how the photo shoot came about, too, which is very well in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was so much fun reading all about your project, how it came about, how it was photographed and where it hangs. A special peek into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Miss Kelly you have out done your self this project, it's BRILLIANT I love it, you are soooooo creative, love how your mind works, thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend, ((( BIG HUGS )))..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic decor item! And I love the back story of getting it photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant, wonderful, amazing...so totally love this! And I'm so glad you shared the story of the photo taking process...loved that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kelly this is so you--full of incredible craft savvy and creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness!! This is FABULOUS!!! I adore the photo with the missing head! Looks like it should be in a magazine!! And your wall hanging is really just amazing! I'm so glad I stopped by to see this Kelly!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well shut the front door!!! You amaze me Kelly, this is another of your marvelous works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  17. First of all, I must give the little guy with cold feet big kudos for such a great photo. It's super-cute. (And so is your jacket....love the color!)

    And this project!! Oh my-oh-my! Very clever. I really do LOVE this!
    The gif is awesome too. I might have to borrow that process idea...with credit of course, and if you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your project and thanks for the step by step! Love this post and how you staged your project! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun and awesome project! Love how the hoops were put together and the fun paper heart chain. Your creativity never seizes to amaze me...have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kelly your posts always charm the heck out of me! And this one made me grin! Love the breakdown of the room too! And it looks so lovey on your mantle! I so wish I had a fireplace in my house! Maybe someday!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So AWESOME!!! What a fabulous project Kelly! Love those hoops :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great project! Love this so much!
    Vanessa x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I should sue you for serious damages to my jaw! It drops to the floor everytime I visit this blog and franckly, it's starting to hurt ;) Oh, wow Kelly, what a wonderful project and SO perfect for guys! I love the gif you made, so fun my friend!
    Ps: While my long layover in Miami on my way back to Bolivia I went for a walk on South Beach and entered for the first time a Pottery Barn. Oh, boy. It was such a torture to be there and not be able to buy anything because it wouldn't fit on my carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow ... great project - wonderful pictures ( of the project and your room ) . Thank you for taking the time to share .

    ReplyDelete
  25. i can totally picture you out there!! great shot! awesome project too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is awesome! Such a cool project and I love the sentiment! Had a good giggle reading about your photo shoot! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my Kelly...you did it again!
    Love your post, the fab project and the way you presented it!
    FABULOUS!
    Thank YOu

    ReplyDelete
  28. SUPER FANTASTIC post Kelly - FAB Valentine's decoration and your favourite flea market find is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great idea using the hoops. The sentiment is so perfect for boys too. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Outstanding! I bet this project has been pinned over and over and over.....So, when are you coming over to do my house?

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOWZA! No wonder you were excited, this project is amazing!!! I was trying to comment yesterday when I found it, but my internet kept going down. The creativity in your brilliant mind just boggles my slow little mind! And, I LOVE the headless photo shot! I so have to copy that! Lastly, what cutter did you use for those letters?! Thanks for sharing this amazing project! Love it and you to death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Angie, what a sweet comment ... totally made my day : ) You're the best! Thanks for being excited with me!

      I used the Silhouette to cut my favorite font combo ... Bebas Neue (sans serif) and Brannboll Fet (script), although the Bebas Neue font got stretched vertically to fit the circular space better. As much as I love these fonts, I've been passively shopping for a few new ones. With the frequency I use these two I know it's a matter of time before they're overdone. Luckily, that time hasn't come yet!

      Delete
  32. Amazing, this is brilliant..if you are a craft dork, then so am I!! I recently make a pen holder and every day when I see it on my desk I clap my hands in delight - DORK! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dr. John: Virginia did tell me about the X-Wing...BEST display ever!! Well, your sign is pretty awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a totally fun and creative Valentine's decoration Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great take on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Remarkable. What else can I say? I am tapped out of adjectives for you, young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You are one mighty talented craft dork... AMAZING! And, thanks so much for stopping by There's Always the Other Side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your guts. And your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  39. AWESOME! I just shared this on my facebook page:)

    ReplyDelete
  40. That's so cute! It reminds me of something I might say!

    ReplyDelete
  41. How cute and clever is that! AND I love the mileage sign next to the fireplace! Did you make that or buy it? Love to know!
    Joan @ nicerthannew.com

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly