Saturday, October 7, 2017

Chibitronics and Honey Bee Stamps Blog Hop

 Hi Folks! Have you been wow'd by all the Chibitronics and Honey Bee Stamps cards so far in the World Card Making Day blog hop? Right?! They are amazing! You probably just came from Kelley Kohout's blog, but if not feel free to start at the beginning with  Honey Bee Stamps. 
 Knowing that I wanted to make a lighted card with Chibitronics, of course I picked the awesomely detailed pickup truck from Honey Bee's Little Pickup. It turned out so darn cute, and just perfect for any of the male birthday cards I need for our family.


Can I show you how I did it?
You'll need copper tape, white LED lights, and CR2032 batteries to get started. You can also get this sketchbook that walks you through the different ways to use the lights, but that is not necessary to make your project.
Once everything is stamped, cut out and adhered, place it on top of the card base and make a mark where you want each light to appear.
Cut a strip of paper as wide as the battery and make a folder for it.
Adhere one side of the folder to the card base.
You will now need the copper tape to make the circuit. Because I'm economical, I like to cut the copper tape in half lengthwise before I use it. That almost doubles your usage!
Then it's a matter of running the tape from one side of the folder past each marked light, and then again for the other side of the folder. Afterwards I use a bone folder to make sure the tape is snugly adhered to the card base.
Time for the lights! The important thing here is to just make sure the negative side of the light is on the copper tape that will connect with the negative side of the battery.
Once that's all set, you can start building up the areas around the copper tape with foam tape. You also want to make sure the battery is secured on all sides with foam tape so it doesn't slide around.
I put the battery right under the barrels, so when you press on them the truck's interior lights and headlights come on. Cutting away sections of the card and replacing them with vellum is a good way to have a specific shape lit up on your card, like the window, and the headlight path.
Here's the card in the daytime, with the sentiments embossed in silver, and the barrels loaded up in the bed of the pick up.
For the hubcaps I added silver brads to the middle of the wheels and attached them to the pick up. I cut out a second set of wheels and layered these on top, so you can actually spin the wheels.

I showed this one to my boys right away and they both really loved it. Even my husband was turning the lights on and off quite a few times! I say this all the time, but I always amaze myself when the lights go on and off like they're supposed to!
We've got so much more inspiration lined up for you! As you're marveling at all the creations, don't forget to leave comments at each stop along the way. Up for grabs is a $25 Honey Bee gift certificate and a $30 Chibitronics Starter Kit!

All righty, I am sending you off to your third Kelly in a row ... the lovely Kelly Szafron!

 Honey Bee Stamps 
Amy Rysavy
Eiko Uchida

28 comments:

  1. This blog hop is so much FUN seeing all the lighted cards! I love your lighted truck card!!!! AND happy World Cardmaking Day...my favorite holiday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool card! I love the pairing of the stamp and the lights...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this card! I never seen a card like this before. Because of the dark background the lights really pops out :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great masculine card, I'm always needing those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool card. Thanks for the tips on using the copper tracks for lighting your card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh! I LOVE this card!!! I have't tried the chibitronics, but it adds such an adorable touch! I have that little pick up stamp and die set and it is one of my very favs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool card! Very genius to use lights for highlights:) thanks a lot for sharing how you made it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! I never thought of using vellum in that way! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very clever! Love the light on the truck... what a fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool! Happy World CardMaking Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, this is a very cool card, love when it lights up (also love the truck)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lov
    E your idea of using the brads in the wheels to make the tires spin. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your card is wonderful. It’s so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome card and I love how the truck lights up, such a great idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh this is brilliant! I love that the truck and headlights light up! So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the best card for a man, truck lights and window light up. It's bperfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Awesome and super cool card!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cool! Just love these cards!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great masculine card. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh...now THIS is FUN!! Marvelous work Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! Amazing idea and well put together xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so good with these Chibtronic kits and I love that pick up truck image!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the pickup truck card!! the Chibtronic really adds the "wow".

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly