Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Word Art Christmas Cards


I've wanted to make some word art cards for awhile, especially after seeing all the hot subway art on Pinterest for so long. So I was excited to see Betsy Veldman demoing a MIM technique to split up a sentiment stamp and use your own die cut letters.


Here's the original stamp, from Papertrey Ink's new Over Under Easy Additions set. I inked the top three lines, added my own die cut letters, and then inked up the last two lines. I love how this technique turns an inside-the-card-sentiment stamp into a front-of-the-card focal point. Way to get more mileage out of your stamps!


The ampersand is cut out of cork, inspired by the Moxie Fab challenge to use cork. I like pairing a rustic, textured cork with a modern, graphic card that has hammered silver on the edges. Completely opposite. But, if the opposite rule works in the world of interior design, why not on a card, right?


Here's another word art card, this time with plaid and some bling. 


I was using the washi tape to position the die cut letters (so I could see where it should go without having to move each letter one-by-one) and then thought it actually looked pretty neat on the card. So I put a strip on and added the letters to the top and bottom, with a sparkly ampersand in the middle.

Also, the die cut letters are colored with my alcohol markers. I am lazy. What a pain to find and cut all those little pieces of colored paper. Just die cut it all on white, and then color afterwards. Much easier, plus I don't think I own all those shades of pink cardstock (it's all boys except me here!)


 I was so inspired with this technique that I kept making cards. This one is inspired by the CASE Study inspiration card by Angline Yong:


I stuck to the color-blocked background, and used negative die cuts for the letter and the little half circle window on the bottom where I put the holly leaves.
 

Originally, the "peace & JOY" were both on the white cardstock base, but I liked adding a little color to the JOY. The two colors don't necessarily go together, but I think that's why I like it. It's a little off, but in the context of the whole card, still in the ballpark.

Also, you remember that I'm lazy, right? Can you tell where the die-cut letters in the first card came from? Yep, nothing goes to waste here. One card's negative is another card's positive!

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

Card #1 Supplies used: 
stamps:  Papertrey Ink Over Under Easy: Holiday Additions Mini Stamp Set, Places Please Mini Stamp Set
dies: Papertrey Ink lower case block letters, upper case letters
other: cork
Card #2 Supplies used: 
stamps:  Papertrey Ink Over Under Easy: Holiday Additions Mini Stamp Set, Martha Stewart background plaid
impression plates: Papertrey Ink Circles
dies: Papertrey Ink lower case block letters, upper case letters
other: Spectrum Noir alcohol markers
Card #3 Supplies used: 
stamps:  Papertrey Ink Over Under Easy: Holiday Additions Mini Stamp Set, Places Please Mini Stamp Set
dies: Papertrey Ink lower case block letters, upper case letters
other: circle punch

 
UndertheTableandDreaming
DIY Show Off

28 comments:

  1. Wow, Kelly, you sure have knocked the ball out of the park with these work art cards! All of them are SUPah fabulous! I especially love the use of cork for the first one and the glitter ones for the rest!! You have been brimming with creativity....send me some mojo, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning word art cards Kelly! Love the white with pops of colour and cork in the first card especially. Thanks for joining us at CASE Study this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! The cork is just perfect for that card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever! You know that usually I'm a lover of white space, but this time, my favourite is your CASE study card - so rich - great combination of colours! (and that little cut out is the perfect finishing touch!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow someone took this and ran with it!! What fun cards Kelly I really like the frist one with the cork and little holly sprig!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful set of cards - love how you used your die cuts & the negatives! Design & balance of elements & colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great combination of elements and i LOVE the cork!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous cards Kelly! Love the negative die cut one the most!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All three of your cards are just wonderful. Great tip to just use markers to color the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous cards! I love each one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!..what a lovely set of cards Kelly..love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelly these are all SO WONDERFUL!!!!! I love this idea and I am hoping to find some time tomorrow to play along myself! Thanks for so much wonderful inspiration!!!! :) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous cards! Love the bit of cork on the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. FAB, FAB cards Kelly - the cork one is a corker!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I pick 'em or what! Congrats on your shout out at CASE study!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations...lovely cards here Kelly! You lined up the letters PERFECTLY~wow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow- love all 3 cards. They are fab-u-lous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great take on the challenge! Congrats on you win at CASE!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is GREAT Kelly!!! Your cards are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! These are great Kelly! You are just too smart with the washi tape. Love the colors and a big congrats to you for you win at CASE! Gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing cards! I love, love, love the top one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love word art cards. These are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all the variations--these are wonderful! The cork and the glittery "&" signs are very cool! I love the color blocking, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love these cards! They are so bold and graphic, and love the different ampersands that you used!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I feel like I've been to card making school! These are ALL perfection! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love all the color and texture in your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh, these are definitly the most beautiful christmas cards that I have seen so far this year. Love them!
    TSF!
    Tascha

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly