Friday, November 16, 2012

Circle of Life

   In an amazing reminder that "life goes on," we learned of a precious son who was born in our family on the same day as Samuel's car accident. It's difficult to switch gears, but at the same time a welcome distraction. 


His name is Mox. Isn't that awesome? So simple, yet so different. As new parents, I thought they would get a kick out of seeing their first-born son's name in print, so I added it in triplicate to the front of the card.


I like the idea of a faux pocket from the MIM technique explained this week. The top of the tag is die cut by running the Banner Builders Borders die part of the way through (with a cardboard shim to stop it before it cut the border off). The medium Papertrey star is cut out of the large Papertrey star to get the outline effect. In the middle is the birth date, and some really hard-to-see glitter. The stars on the bottom of the tag match the stars on the top of the card.


I resisted my hoarding tendencies and used my ridiculously thick American Crafts glitter paper to make a sparkling elephant. It's the Cuttle Kids elephant, one of my first die cuts! 


Adding the elephant to the top of the tag was inspired by this amazing card at CASE Study by Angeline Yong.
 

I've been challenging myself lately to use my scraps on the inside of the card. I figure since nothing much is usually expected there, anything other than your message may be a pleasant surprise. In this case I grabbed the negative die cut paper out of the trash. Definitely not something I created with the intention of using, hence the very uneven letters. But, I think that's why I like it. It's definitely more difficult for me to make an "artsy" card than a CAS card, so sometimes I have to rely on unintended elements.


 Entering this in the CAS-ual Fridays challenge to use blues (admittedly not a tough challenge for baby boy cards!) 

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

Supplies used: 
stamps: Unknown baby set
dies:  Papertrey Ink Uppercase Block Letters, Seeing Stars; Cuttlebug Kids Elephant
other:  Spectrum Noir alcohol markers 

16 comments:

  1. Mazel Tov on the new baby boy. Such a sweet card--I like how you put the elephant on a pull tab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that you have a little distraction....Way to rock these challenge! I love the faux pocket idea and you sure make it work so fabulously! Happy to see that you entered this for the CAS-ual Friday's challenge! BTW my cards are on their way...HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous, Kelly! I love how you used the negative and positives of the dies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool and creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really fun! I love the elephant and that the feel of the card is not too babyish - great use of colours! I've been thinking about you and your family a lot and will continue to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your personalised card and tag with the sparkly elephant. That day is rememberance day in England and I have a nephew born on that day too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Squeal!! this little sparkly fella is the CUTEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my heart belongs to glitter, love this card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE that glittery elephant! Such a fabulous accent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card Kelly! Glad you have some happy news, on my boys birthday too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is cool. I hope the new parents loved it! The elephant is so sweet. Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelly so beautiful and i love the elephant. Congrats on your win at CASual Fridays! Woot Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love the glittery elephant!! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cool card, and a cool name! Love the glittery ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving glitter card at the moment! Gorgeous in elephant form LOL! Thanks for joining us at CASE Study this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing and creative card! I love the name on the front, the glitzy elephant, and how pull the star piece out! The decorated inside is beautiful too! The parents are going to be thrilled! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly