Sunday, November 25, 2012

Papertrey November Blog Hop


Creative inspiration is coming from book cover art this month at the Papertrey Blog Hop.

This one is definitely challenging. I decided to focus on the last row of covers and came up with two cards. First is a birthday card for our nephew Ryan (Samuel's brother). It's inspired by the word art Wizard of Oz book cover.


Originally I mounted the orange paper on pop dots, but that wasn't too sturdy, especially for mailing, so I die cut the wobbly circle out of 4 pieces of cardboard. After adhering each layer together, I was much happier with how thick and solid the support is.

Can you guess what material the "you" is die cut from?


Duct tape!

I had some on my craft table from a previous, non-card-related craft, and thought it would be fun to adhere the leftover piece to cardstock and run it through the die cutter. Love the shine, which is a perfect alternative to glitter for an eight year-old boy's birthday card, or any masculine birthday card.


The "you are doggone great" sentiment is from the Tiny Treats set, but instead of using the actual stamp, I pieced together different words to recreate the sentiment, much like Betsy Veldman's MIM video on making the sentiment the focal point.


To incorporate an image like the inspiration cover, I substituted the dog for the "A" in "great".


For the inside, I strapped down the gift money with football helmet paper. Other scraps from my table include a negative die cut "Ryan" from letters that didn't work out on the front, a scrap of chartreuse paper, and some red crepe paper (love the texture.)


The second card was inspired from the 60's/70's drawings on the Weekend Londen cover. My God Son's 12th birthday is coming up and he's got a dry sense of humor, so I though it would be a perfect time to go through the Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever book (grabbed out of the donation pile). This Taffy guy stealing a leg of lamb just cracks me up. Who would make up a nursery rhyme about someone stealing meat?!


Doodling in the margins. (ETA, the illustration is cut out of the book ... it's a 1992 reprint so there's no historical value here. Maybe next year I'll make a card out of Taffy stealing the steak, or the last illustration of the narrator hitting Taffy on the head with a marrow bone (?!?))


Scraps again on the inside, as well as the portion of the nursery rhyme that goes with the illustration. 

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly


Supplies used for You Are Doggone Great: 
stamps:  Papertrey Ink Tiny Treats Valentines; PSX Upper and Lower Case Alphabet, Mat Stack I
dies: Papertrey Ink Mat Stack I, Script Words, Block Alphabet, Upper Modern Alphabet, Double-Ended Banners, By The Numbers; Cuttle Bug Circle
other: The Paper Company Rockets and Ray Guns paper, crepe paper

Supplies used for Taffy Was a Welshman: 
other: pen, Richard Scarry Best Mother Goose Ever book, crepe paper

30 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Kelly ,lovely cards, but you have outdone yourself with the second card, did you draw and color it yourself? if yes....please pretty please...a tutorial is called for!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards!! I love the doodling!

    Jessica
    http://www.canyoupixelthis.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fun, and on the first card love how you chopped the mat stack frame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unique and fun they are. Great job Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a LOT of work here in these cards. Fantastic, original and so very YOU! i love it! I especially like the doodling in the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of these cards are amazing. Beautifully though out and crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly both of your cards are so much fun. Love your interpretation of the inspiration. Ryan will love his card, the first step in healing is moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your cards! Both are so cool..Love the doodled text on the second card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously artistic, you are! These are both such fun! Need a frame for the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome cards and so completely different too. Love all the colors on the first one. I love the shine of the letters. You are right; much better for a boy than glitter.
    The 2nd card is very creative. Both cards look like they were labors of love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so fun! Colorful, joyful, and duct tape...what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two great cards. I love how you used the dog in place of a letter. And, after getting over my shock that you cut up a book (hehe), I am able to see the humour in your second card. Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Very impressive. Your cards are wonderful. So creative. You always step outside the box...wish I had that ability.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very clever ideas on both cards, Kelly! Love your creativity ~super job ~
    PS: the bird on my card is a chipboard sticker from Studio 112 that I picked up at Joann's several months back and decided to un-hoard for this card :o) Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great, you are very creative! Love the placement of the dog. Great colors that catch my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cards are so fun! Better stay clear of Taffy:) too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally creative cards, They are both awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE the duct tape - perfect for a boy card. Once again you have created little masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Kelly! Both are amazing. Such fun and creative cards. Love the way you added the money. Bet Ryan love his card. Great job with all the letters too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goodness, Kelly, where to start?! These cards are extraordinary! You are so creative and you put a lot of time and thought and effort into these creations. Both are just so wonderfully unique!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your first card is amazing ... lots of inspiration! Love the way you used the dog image in place of the letter 'a'. Great card for an eight year old!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a fun birthday card! Love the sweet puppy dog!!!
    My card is laughable! I struggled with this one...maybe I will have a "do over" before the deadline! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. How fantstic are these! Really fun cards Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both of your cards are so unique and cool Kelly~

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! These are both amazing! So creative and FUN!!! Love the colors and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My favourite detail on the first is the dog in the 'great' - love it! Ryan will be thrilled with this! And we read Richard Scarry to my sister over and over, but I don't think I ever came across Taffy stealing the leg of lamb. Too funny! Love how you've incorporated the crepe paper too - as always, very, very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are both fabulous, Kelly! I love them both! I loved it when my kids were little and would read Richard Scary books-- they're always so zany!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, they are both great cards ~ I especially like Ryan's card with the dog for an "A." Very, Very creative!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly