Friday, January 31, 2014

My Favorite Card Ever ... with a Surprise : )



I've been holding onto this card for quite awhile. Do you have a card that you have completely fallen in love with and wanted to wait until exactly the right moment to post it? This is mine. I'm bringing it out for the Moxie Fab Trendy Star Power Challenge that ends today. Yep, I waited until the last day possible, because I still kinda wanted to hold onto it : )

 It's a window into the cosmos.


The cosmos (btw, I distinctly remember watching this series by Carl Sagan with my Dad since I rarely was allowed to watch TV, and can't believe that it aired in 1980!) is made from spraying vellum with ink (October Afternoon Carbon Copy) and then a couple shots of Heidi Swapp Gold Color Shine. I don't use sprays too often, but when you want a variegated effect like this there really is no substitute. I did this over a large area of vellum and then moved the card's window around until I got the best-looking area.

The stars are from a white gel pen. I actually pulled up a star map and used that as a loose guide on where to make my dots. I figured if I tried to do random dots they would look too evenly spaced. The frame is drawn with a ruler and a gel pen.

So I told you there was a surprise, right?

When you hold it up to the light,



the Big Dipper is revealed!!

I was so excited when this turned out. It was on my window ledge for probably a month : ) Holding it up to the light reminds me of when I first saw the Big Dipper as a kid. I had been so confused on where it was for a whole summer, and then when you finally identify it, you can never NOT see it. I remember feeling accomplished, and a little more like a grown-up : )


To get this effect, I added a second layer of vellum behind the front panel that I sprayed with Carbon Copy and hole punched the Big Dipper constellation. Both layers of vellum are secured between the two black card bases. Since this is a flat card without a fold to allow the light to show through, I needed a way for it to stand. There's a "Brochure or Photo Holder" image at Silhouette that I used to make the stand, which also folds flat when not in use.


Thanks so much for looking!
-Kelly

41 comments:

  1. You are truly a genius Kelly..and yes, like Lisa said, you ROCK! :) I'm totally in love with the beautiful card! A humble bow to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No surprise that this is completely awesome - you must never sleep, your brain must be constantly working on the next great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly you are a master blaster !! love this... I can actually feel that I am seeing the space .. just as we see on discovery or maybe when we do star gazing :) right now gazing ur card is the only thing I am doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so completely in love with this Kelly. In ways you couldn't even imagine. I know you want to hold onto it, but... if you can part with it, could I possibly have it? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've boldly gone in a wonderful direction. This is an absolute stunning card, Kelly. WoW!! That surprise took my breath away! Utterly fantastic. Love this, really, really love this. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  6. One SUPER STELLAR card Kelly, just amazing, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it too :) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, you are just way too cool! WOW! Amazing card creation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, I have NO words for this!!! lol This is AWESOME x10!!! Simply, stunning! LOVE.IT. *And I guess I did find some words ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh.my.word! I swear, my jaw just dropped when I saw the Big Dipper revealed!
    And I had to go fetch my eyeballs.....You are amazing!! Love how your brain works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG...I LOVE THIS!!! I totally see why you were hanging on to it. What a great card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why you love this...it is so stinking cool Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool is that sky! I can see why you love it! I would have LOVED to play it in person and see it in full reveal of the Big Dipper! The sentiment reminds me of the song "Wishes" in Magic Kingdom (Disney World). It's the opening of the firework :) What a treat to see this card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boy. Oh, boy. I just don't know what to say. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am speechless!
    Even if I said again"Kelly you are amazing" it would still not come close to how I feel!
    It's beyond clever & creative, it is truly magical!!
    WOW!
    I hope you can show me this in RL someday!
    Thank You!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! But that word is not even close to describe your card. Love constellations and your Milky way effect is fabulous! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing Kelly! I love the way you said, "You can never not see it"...that can be applied to so many things in my life~ha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Um seriously so totally cool! LOVE this, love all the thought and care and intention in it, you created something really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. how gorgeous and creative!! not surprised coming from you ;);)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kelly, this is beyond inspiring! I absolutely ADORE this! Thanks for sharing your favorite card with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. They'be said it all, so take each one and pretend I said it. lol You are the queen of ingenuity. How you ever thought of this I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok...now that is just AWESOME!!! You are fantastic Kelly...you make your projects so magically appear on the page. So LOVE this!!! I mean really....YOU ARE GENIUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG! Kelly, you continue to amaze me with your creative ideas! I don't think you can EVER give this card away. It's too awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So very cool and the reveal at the end of this post...wow! So well engineered. I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, my. No wonder this is your favorite card ever. So very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kelly, Kelly, Kelly!
    This is cool!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  26. Welcome back Vellum Engineering Awesomeness!!! I would be SURPRISED if this is not a winner!
    Pinning this and wishing I was holding this card in my hands! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. No way! That is seriously the coolest looking night sky and the Big Dipper....GET OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  28. "can never not see it" - yep, it's always over Dad's garage ;) This is pretty darn cool (like that bday magic one you did). I just submitted a constellations card (using paper piercer). Crazy cool all the star-studded things going on these days.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fabulous card Kelly. Love the dark colors with the white lines... and the big dipper is such a nice touch... along with the surprise! Neat idea and design.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is the coolest card I have ever seen..ever! I'm not kidding. The big dipper reveal is so awesome it's awesomer!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your card should have won but at least you got a shout out over at Moxie Fab.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly