Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sympathy Card


Here's a 3D card, inspired by the CASology challenge to use white on your card, and by Tracey McNeely's idea to make a sympathy card (I always struggle with those, even more than "guy cards"!)




To get the layered hills, I flipped the die cut for the layer in front and cut off the house. Since I wanted to add texture to the hill in the front layer, but not the trees, I just die cut another hill and this time cut the trees and the house off. It didn't line up exactly so I was going to do another one, but then I ended up liking how it was a little off. More dimension : )
 

For the middle layer, I just cut it a little longer, folded tabs on each side, and glued it to the sides. If you'd like to make one of these, I'd highly recommend to glue it when the card is flat, and then open it up. That way you know for sure it will fold properly and won't have any strange lumps from things not lining up exactly.


Here it is folded flat for mailing in an envelope.

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

Supplies used:
impression plates: PTI Stripes 
dies:  Memory Box Landscape 
paper: The Paper Company Hammered Silver

15 comments:

  1. Great card. The more I see of this die, the more I 'need' it. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful sympathy card Kelly. Thank you so much for joining us this week at CASology!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning - I love the 'stormy sky' paper that you used - and what a creative card format! Thanks for playing along at CASology this week - it's always exciting to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is simply amazing!!! love how you used the die... thanks so much for playing along with CASology!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Love the shimmer and texture as well as the uber cool design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is AH-mazing, Kelly! I love how you used the die--so much dimension! Love the "sky", too!
    I want to try your rendition now....Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang, Kelly, this isn't a card, it's a work of architecture, a work of art, a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea, it is a beautiful card :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of the die - love that you flipped it and love the dimension you added by the tabs! I will have to try this some time! Great inspiration dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly this is beautiful! Love the way you used this die. This sympathy card is sure to bring a much needed smile. Love that PTI impression plate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful sympathy card! These are truly the hardest to make. I love the "pop-up" dimensional effect and the added texture to the front hill. Great job!

    Thanks for suggesting the CAS-ual Friday challenge. I submitted my card. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the simplicity of the scene, the texture and tones of the hammered silver all evoke a calm sigh perfect for a sympathy card. Thanks for your visit Kelly I appreciate your sweet comments. Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  13. This scene is beautiful,Kelly. I love the dimension and the white with the hammered silver. Great sympathy card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE that die cut (gotta get it someday!) And brilliant on making it mail-friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For the middle layer, I just cut it a little longer, folded tabs on each side, and glued it to the sides. If you'd like to make one of these, I'd highly recommend to glue it when the card is flat, and then open it up. That way you know for sure it will fold properly and won't have any strange lumps from things not lining up exactly. mens bracelets canada , mens bracelets australia

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly