Tuesday, September 4, 2012

eeek!


I always admire people who use nontraditional colors for holiday cards, so I thought I'd try it myself with the color palette at the Play Date Cafe Challenge this week. 


Although it isn't too much of a stretch to get "witch" out of these colors, I probably wouldn't have used them together if it wasn't part of the challenge (especially the evergreen, I would have just made the hat and boots black, and how "not fun" is that?)
 
I've also had the Moxie Fab World challenges in my head from their new handbook:


If you haven't gotten a chance to check them out, I would highly recommend it. I felt like I was going back to school just like my kids this week! Really basic lessons/reminders you can apply to everyday card making. 

 
I started out using the focal point challenge and drawing the spiderweb in the background to call attention to the witch (the focal point) in the center of the card. Please excuse the messy web, I was just playing around to see how it would look with the intention of redoing it later, but then I changed direction slightly ...


and made the web off center using the principles in the asymmetry challenge. To balance it a little I added the spider. Once the spider got on the card, I thought it would be kind of funny/ironic to have the witch scared of it, so that's where the "eeek" came from. Originally I was just going to use a "Trick or Treat" sentiment underneath.




Then the lessons from the movement challenge came to me and I wanted to incorporate these too. So, I colored a streak in her hair and restamped/tilted the spider body. Here's the movement I was trying for:

 
  1. start at the wide, white, witch eyes;
  2. from the eye, follow the purple streak in her hair, the purple arm, and the point on the frame across the line of the spider web;
  3. stop at the dotted line going down, and follow it to the spider;
  4. follow the spider's eyes across to the witch's reaction upon seeing it, "eeek!"
  5. done. loop is completed, eyes can rest : )
  So, did that work? I like having the spider body look back at the witch instead of up and off the top of the card. I knew that principle from so many years of scrapbooking (not having pictures of people looking off the page) but somehow I totally forgot about that when card designing. It was fun doing a mini makeover on my witch card using the Moxie Fab Challenges!

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

Supplies used:
stamps: My Mind's Eye Blackbird Stamps, PSX alpha
dies:  PTI Fillable Frames
ink: Spectrum Noir Markers

19 comments:

  1. Not sure I follow all the 'science' of making these cards, I just follow my feeling, and they both feel pretty good to me! lol! Although, I have to admit to maybe liking the assymetrical one a little better, so maybe your science worked on me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly love it, especially that cute spider!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly this is adorable~love the big web and her big ol' eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful card - definitely stands out from the crowd! I really love the way you've combined the colours and the image is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the simple but important design tips! It's really neat to see the difference between the witch in the center and the witch off-center. I don't know if my eyes did as they were supposed to, but I do know I found the card adorable! And I definitely agree that where the spider eyes are looking is HUGE! Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my, this is absolutely adorable! Thanks for playing with us at The Play Date Cafe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly--these are so cute!!! I love how you took the same image and played around with the different design principles. I love your coloring of her. Thanks for joining us at the PDCC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you've included your thought process with this post - it totally worked and your final card is gorgeous! These colours are perfect for your theme and image!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly - BRILLIANT! I totally followed the path with my eyes BEFORE I read what you wrote. I love the diffrence between the witch in the middle and the assymetrical offcenter witch. Love the drawn web in both cards! I read some of the moxie fab challenges last week but school looming has kept me from doing much with them yet! Hope to soon....first day of school is tomorrow and my little one is so excited/nervous he won't go to sleep...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved hearing your design process! I like that she's scared of the spider, and those colors just make her so fun. Great job making that web too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun card, thanks for playing along with us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Kelly!
    I think you achieved it!
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave me a nice long comment.I went ahead and looked at my card again and incorporated some changes . thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Man, these cards are adorable! And I love how you walked us through your process:) Of course, it's cool when a card looks better (even though both of your cards are great), but it's nice to know why it looks better!

    Hope you have a great weekend Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eeeeeek is right! This is adorable! I love how you used the colors for the challenge and the web background is so catchy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing all the details. I was pretty impressed with the way I was drawn in to the center in the first card, but totally appreciate your process and changes to the final version. Love the added spider and the strand of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Kelly! Thanks for linking this up to the Movement Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Kelly! Thanks also for linking this up to the Focal Point Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun there as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Kelly! Thanks as well for linking this up to the Asymmetry Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly