Friday, June 15, 2012

Baseball Party Invitations



Read on for baseball party invitation info, but
click here for the complete Baseball Party Post with Decorations, Activities, Games, Food/Menu, Cake, and Favors.
 

My 8-year-old is obsessed with baseball and is super excited to have a baseball-themed birthday party. I was going to make the invitations on a die-cut baseball, but then I thought, why not use a REAL baseball? Not sure if my idea would work, I was a little nervous ordering two dozen autograph balls. But I had faith and am really pleased with how they turned out.

I picked Markwort Autograph Baseballs since they don't have any logos which would interfere with the party information. Also, I figured these were meant to be written on. They were $20/dozen when I ordered. A little pricy, but I figured since we'd be hand-delivering these we'd save the cost of postage, and the kids would have a favor they could use before the party even started.  



The party information is stamped on the back side. I used black StazOn ink, which is great for "staying on" hard surfaces. The stamps are from various sets. The specific information (date, time, address, phone number, name) is stamped using individual letters and numbers lined up on a clear stamping block.


 In between the front and back panel, I stamped my street address and phone number. I ended up designating one ball to be the practice ball and used it to do all my practice stamping on. This took the pressure off a little. Obviously, the ball is round, so it was a little tricky to rotate the stamps so they would produce a clear impression. But it's definitely doable. This is where having a practice ball comes in handy! Any words that stamped too lightly I carefully went over with a fine permanent marker and it worked OK.


Time to deliver the invitations. My son loved going to everyone's house and playing mailman. A few of the balls were delivered earlier in the week when we saw kids at play dates, baseball games, a pool party, etc. It only took an hour to deliver the baseballs to all 20 families.

Tip Junkie handmade projects

28 comments:

  1. Best invitation idea ever! I always feel so guilty buying/making things that don't last. This is the perfect solution! So super creative Kelly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just the funniest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME Kelly! My son would have loved this when he was a little guy...also a baseball nut!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So AWESOME!! They may be a little pricey, but your son is going to have this fond memory to last a life time!! LOVE this, Kelly! Thanks so much for your kind comments and support! Your words warm my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Kelly. Those are fantastic, I can't believe you were able to stamp them so perfecly. A lifetime keepsake for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just the coolest idea ever and what a fantastic mom you are to put in all the time and effort to make these unique and lasting invitations. The picture of your happy son playing mailman is just priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has got to be the cutest invitation. I hope you son feels extra special to have a mom who can and will make his big day so special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This idea has to be the coolest invitation I've ever seen! Wow!! I can't imagine how long it took to stamp all those letters! Fab blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SUPER CUTE! Crossing my fingers you'll share at my party! Saturdays at Seven!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an AWESOME idea! I love it!!! Pinning this and I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an absolutely amazing idea! I just love it and what a wonderful job you did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute!! Thanks for linking up, I featured this project on my fb page: http://www.facebook.com/seevanessacraft

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is genius! I am stealing this idea for future birthday parties for my boys :o) I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the party crafts! Happy to be a new follower! -Sarah @ Repeat Crafter Me

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are just gorgeous! You are going to be a feature this week at our Pin'inspiration Party. Thank-you so very much for taking the time to share C:

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh boy, this is just the coolest idea out there...... Can't think what sport we could replicate the idea with over here in blighty!!!! Cricket balls are to dark and tennis balls too hairy!!!! Tee hee.
    I bet the recipients loved an invitation they could play with too :0)
    Can wait to see the party photos.
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute idea! I have 3 boys that all play baseball, so I will have to remember this! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW awesome invitations!!!! Your son looks so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this idea. I bought some printed invites for more than the $20 it took you to buy the baseballs. Love this so much better. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, these are fabulous! What a super idea!
    Now you have me wishing my boys were into baseball.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this idea! And not wasteful as the kids will all use it again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm having a hard time finding the clear stamps small enough to fit. (like pictured) Any idea on the size you used or where to purchase them? I've been to joanne's and michaels 3 times each and have bought different sets and I can't seem to get small enough. TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy!

      Yep, the clear alphabet stamps are going to be too small to fit your message on the baseball. I used the Martha Stewart tiny rubber stamps that fit in a channeled holder. At the time I got them from Michael's. If they aren't at your M's, I see them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewart-Crafts-Your-Stamp/dp/B0046NPE5I

      The reviews are horrible for this product because it is a little tricky to use, but I LOVE it and use it quite often for custom wording on things. There is a case you can buy which is essential to store and organize the teeny-tiny letters.

      If you have any other questions along the way let me know!

      Kelly

      Delete
  22. hi kelly!

    this is truly amazing! i'm going to try to attempt this for my son's second birthday party in october! i found your link for the martha stewart stamps, but did you find the "8" number stamp and "it's a party" stamp at michael's too? am i looking for a really small number stamp and let's party stamp? also, your link to the baseball's through amazon is no longer valid {assuming since this is an old post}. i'm trying to find them on amazon, but maybe i'm not searching correctly. i searched "plain baseball", "autograph baseball", etc. would be so kind to help me with how you searched for these plain balls and stamp information? thank you so much, what an amazing invitation idea!

    p.s., about how long did it take you to make these? i need to know what i'm in for here ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      So excited that you are going to try these yourself! Here are a few tips:

      - lightly sand the baseballs before you stamp them ... this will keep the stamps from sliding all over the ball, which is especially important since it's tricky to roll the straight stamps over the round ball.
      - if you get stray ink marks on the baseball, lightly go over that area with a white gel pen. It doesn't hide the mark completely, but it's less noticeable.
      - make an extra baseball for kids to sign at the party
      - order a few extra baseballs ... some will just not turn out at all
      - allow yourself enough time. It took as much time to get everything ready as it did to do all the stamping. I'd say a few evenings.

      Here are similar number stamps (the "it's a party" stamp was from Michael's but it was years ago):
      http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product.aspx?id=99106
      http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product.aspx?id=120997

      And here's another place to get the autograph baseballs. Amazon doesn't carry them anymore.

      http://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/9844/markwort-9-autograph-signature-baseballs.html

      Good luck, and I'd love to see a photo of how they turn out!
      Kelly

      Delete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly