Saturday, March 3, 2012

Acorn Baby Card [CFC42]


I wanted to make a non-traditional baby card for this week's CAS-ual Friday challenge. I've always liked the simple saying, "Mighty oaks from tiny acorns grow," so thought that would make a fun theme for the card. Unfortunately I don't have a size-appropriate acorn stamp.


So I had to draw my own acorn. A texture stamp helped for the cap, and because I don't have any Copic markers I used watercolor pencils for the nut. Originally I had the acorn in the dirt under the grass, but thought it looked better in between the grass blades.

I made a dandelion (from the PTI Bloom Builders die) since I wanted to have muted colors to keep the focus on the tiny acorn.


The "dirt" texture is made from the crimper, running it through a couple different directions and not squeezing very hard on the last pass so the prior crimps aren't flattened.


Since I can't leave things alone, I played around with adding a sun behind the cloud, but thought it was a little too simple for the space it took up (maybe fibers or glitter would help).


Not having anything at all except the acorn on top of the hill was nice, but I thought maybe a little too plain.

Having a messy desk is why I usually have multiple ideas for a card. Elements from prior projects are lying around and suddenly they're perfect for my current project. Funny how that works out sometimes.






Thanks for looking!

Supplies:
American Crafts cloud paper
American Crafts texture stamp
PTI Bloom Builders die
PTI simply chartreuse cardstock
PTI double ended banner die
heart brad
white gel pen
water color pencils
crimper

10 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job with this and I think the sentiment is perfect for a baby card :) Thanks for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great card - that acorn is just so cute and the sentiment is lovely too, hugs x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly! Well, gosh, isn't this just the cutest thing? I really love the acorn, and the tall flower, great composition! Thanks so much for popping by my blog! I am following yours now, you do lovely work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly your little hand drawn acorn is darling! This is a very cute baby card, love the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet card Kelly,great take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely! What a sweet sentiment, and the colors are so vibrant. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet card, love this little scene and all the details :) Thanks for playing with us this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an unique and creative take on baby cards!!So refreshing! Glad that you join the fun with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great little scene. You've created great depth with texures. Thank you so much for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful card - love the acorn and your "dirt" tip is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly