Sunday, March 25, 2012

Birthday Cake Banner Card [PTI Blog Hop]


Here's a happy birthday card for any age. The Spring colors come from the Papertrey Ink March Challenge to use Yellow and Aqua:


Additional inspiration comes from this lovely cake on Pinterest that I've been holding onto (for cards, not for cake, no way could I make that):


Step-by-step directions to make an easel card are on a helpful Split Coast Stampers post.


But if you're like me and would rather just do it quickly instead of read instructions, here's a hint. All you need to do is fold the upper flap of your card inward about 2" from the bottom. Attach your main part of the card (in this case the cake, strip of yellow polkadots, cake stand) to the 2" flap, and there you have it. An easel card! If you want the easel to stand better, attach another piece of paper on the lower flap of the card so the easel has a little ridge to stop it from sliding flat.


Toothpicks hold up the banner on either side.


I love that it folds flat too.

When you lift the easel, you have additional space for a sentiment, or to write a personal message.

Using a different card format is a nice change for me. Doesn't use any more paper, just works differently than your traditional card.

Thanks for looking!


Supplies:
PTI Banner Builders Die and Stamp set
PTI Circles Border Die and Leaf Border Die
PTI Dots Background Stamp
PTI Aqua Mist Cardstock
PTI Fresh Snow Ink
Cricut Wedding Cartridge Cake Stand Cut-out
White Mini Rick Rack Trim
Vintage Ribbon
Toothpicks

Linking up to:
See Vanessa Craft

37 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a work of art... I hardly read instructions either-- but I think I'll leave cake masterpieces to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! what a fun card. i'd have a hard time giving it away after all that work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What FUN Kelly! Great card for anyones' birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Love this! Would definitely try this. Thanks for the inspiration - and the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow!!! This is spectacular! You made me want to give a try to easel cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is fabulous!!!

    I wonder how you attached the twine on the toothpicks. Seems like a horror story if I would try that!

    Love the card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! You really pulled out all of the stops for this one! Lovely birthday card that I would find difficult to give away.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is fabulous!!!

    I wonder how you attached the twine on the toothpicks. Seems like a horror story if I would try that!

    Love the card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hanne - well thank you : ) Nothing too complicated on attaching the trim to the toothpicks for the banner, just put a drop of glue on the trim and wrapped it around the toothpick. I thought tying it might be too bulky, so was happy the glue worked. Then to attach it to the cake I put some glue on the bottom of the toothpick and slid it between the ribbons.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness Kelly this is fantastic! What is not to love about this amazing birthday card. Finally instructions I get. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very creative! Love it! The ribbon layers and banner are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific easel design - love your inspiration cake as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous!!
    So very creative...
    love that topper! :)
    So much yumminess to this...
    just fabby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! What a fun card!!! So very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kelly , this card is amazing one of the most creative cards I have seen! Wonderful job with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea for a birthday card. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that is impressive!

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now who wouldn't love to get that? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this is just awesome!! Anyone who received this is going to have to say W..O..W out loud :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow this is over the top!!! Great job, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG this must have taken you all week?! Fabulous card (hangs head in shame at thought of own card). Great, great job..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, this is so cool! I love your take on the inspiration photo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am in AWE! Such a dramatic effect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kelly, your card is a work of art! Love how you were inspired by the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute! I love the little banner!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wowzers what a fun project!!! Great work Kelly!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adorable card! I want to make a cake based on your card design..LOL! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly