Friday, March 13, 2015

Functional Friday: Dryer Sheet Leftovers

Hi all! Time for another Functional Friday installment. In case you missed this post, I'm featuring one die from Top Dog Dies each month, and each Friday I'm sharing a different way to use the die. My hope is that even if you don't own that exact die, the ideas will translate to similar dies you do own.


This technique uses the actual dryer sheet that I've been using to get all the pieces out of the heart border die in one step.  Let's take a look ...


Right after making last week's teen boy card with the Heart Border Die squares, I noticed that the dryer sheet I was using had a neat, unintentional, layered look to it. I was really excited to use this on a card as a background!



Love the overlapping, love that you can see some old layers of white hearts underneath, love the waxy texture that's developed from running it through the die cutting machine so many times, love that it's totally random and unplanned. And I love that I didn't need to spend any time creating it!


Here's a closer look at the Sheep Die. I cut a layer of silver for the head and legs, then a layer of white for the body, then a layer of batting to make it fluffy and more realistic.


You may be thinking this is quite an odd subject matter for a birthday card. A sheep with a "15. whatever" sentiment. Well, I really enjoy the dry sense of humor my Godson has, and I think he'd really love to see a sheep sassing him like this on his birthday. Whatever. You're 15. So? Hahaha! We'll try something than the usual "happy birthday" with him this year.

I think we may be done with the heart border die! The monthly spotlight somehow turned into 2 1/2 months. Next Friday I'll either pick a new die, or do a recap post.

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

13 comments:

  1. Really?? You may not have had to do anything physically creative but that eye of yours is working overtime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Gosh. You blew my mind with the dryer sheet tip, and just when I'd almost finished stuffing all the bits back into my skull, you blow it out again! Brilliant idea. Love the look of this. Fun birthday card for a teen...I've got a few of those in the family, so might just have to 'borrow' this sentiment, lol! Have a great weekend. bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your background Kelly! Love those layers and the fun sentiment! Genius! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to up cycle for this card! Looks amazing, I love the fluffy lamb and the whatever too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I love the fuzziness of the sheep!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I love the 15, whatever! Too funny! And my oh my, you've done it again with your creativity!...genius, I tell you! Love this!
    Happy Friday, Kelly! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The background dryer sheet idea is out-of-the-box fantastic! That sassy sheep knows where it's at!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my....you are amazing and this is one fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Love the sentiment perfect for the teenage years. The background created is just too fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just super cool - that background. And not to forget that fluffy sheep - cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the best card I've seen in a while!! Not sure I could recreate it but I might have to try

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. What an ingenious use of something that would get thrown away. I love how green you are! Makes me want to think of new ways to use everything.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly