Monday, September 2, 2013

Snowman Snow Globe


After seeing all those things-under-glass-turned-snow-globe projects that were so popular in magazines and Pinterest last year, I thought I'd try my hand at making one for the Moxie Fab World Holiday Decor Challenge.
 


The large bubble label die makes an easy snowman when you cut off the bottom portion (check out Dana's fun snowman too!) This guy is a layer of chipboard* sandwiched with felt on each side so he's pretty sturdy. In between the felt layers I glued branches from a Memory Box die for the arms. His scarf is from a vintage (1970's) piece of material.

*actually it's a piece of a fast food drink holder box painted white to match the felt


For the bottom I was picturing some wispy cotton with that big, chunky, vintage glitter. However, 1) I couldn't find the cotton; and 2) I couldn't find the big, chunky, vintage glitter. When I unpack the Christmas boxes it will appear. So for now, I have the bottom as a balled up Kleenex, covered in batting, with some wimpy glitter that would not shake too well sprinkled on top. It's a place-holder.

The snowman is able to sit on the hill because I left an end of the middle chipboard layer extend beyond the snowman die cut. That extension is slid through a slit cut in the batting. Then I split that extension in two and spread it out underneath the batting to allow the snowman to stand.

The lid of my snow globe, which in a previous life was a salsa jar, is spray painted in silver and screwed back onto the glass. A bow I saved from a present last year finishes it all off. Love making projects from scraps around the house!

Thanks so much for looking!
-Kelly

31 comments:

  1. Super cute...love it and that scarf is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is this, Kelly ... fabulous 'scrapping'! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I'm always inspired by your creativity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw this is absolutely adorable! Love your snowman and the way you have decorated him! Such a creative use of that die!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab use of the fri-dies and love how you've used household items and transformed them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so fun and adorable! Great alternative use for that die!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This little guy is adorable! My favorite part is his flowery vintage scarf. And of course now I need a flowery vintage scarf and some snow in my garden to run around wearing it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever girl to turn this die into a snowman! This is as cute as can be Kelly!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How clever to see a snowman in that die! Love this fun project - it would be great to do with my daughter (who you'll be meeting in one short month!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So stinking cute! Too stinking smart! I love that you made a snowman out of this die and a decoration to boot! Love it Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do you see these things?!! You are a master!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great way to use this die! He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Kelly! Thanks for linking this up to the Holiday Home Decor Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous holiday project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahahahhaah I love how you turned that die into a snowman!!! And congrats on the Moxie Fab win :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. He is adorable. You rocked the recycling. And we all know you are Moxie Fab! Happy Christmas in September ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats, Kelly! and thanks for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay, congrats on the win over Moxie Fab!! You sure make this a stand-out with your genius design!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry about being AWOL...I did see your snowglobe, and loved it right away! Big, huge congrats on the win over at MF!!!! Well done and well deserved! My sister loves snowmen, so I am going to forward this to her! She'll adore it as much as I do. Woohoo!!!!! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fabulous, Kelly! Congratulations on the MFW win!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WELL deserved MOXIE FAB win Kelly :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adorable! And as usual genius use of the material. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  23. Moxie Fabulicious! This was my favorite of all the winners. LOVE snowglobes and to think you used that shape to make the snowman--GENIUS! So...he's not in liquid is he? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  24. This turned out really cute, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a rightful winner, so glad you had the time to put it together! Love that adorable snowman, using the branch die for his arms was a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly