Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Valentine for your Matrix-loving Man

for today's winnie & walter post, please click here or scroll down.


I am a ridiculously slow crafter (too many voices in my head telling me different things!) so most of my crafting time is spent on Design Team or publication work. However, when I saw my talented friend Donna Mikasa as the muse this month at CASE Study I had to make some time to join in. 


Her falling letters spelling the word "thanks" struck a chord with me. I also thought of Taheerah's wonderfully original Matrix card from last year. So I thought I'd CASE them both!

The intent on this card was to convey the feeling of raining code from the Matrix movie.

Image Credit
   
Generational stamping works well to get the falling letters effect, and then, since I only wanted 4 lines of code (L, O, V, E) I made the rest of the lines from glitter paper. The sparkles from the glitter are meant to represent the code whizzing by, since as you move the card, you see movement of light from the glitter. I showed the card to my husband and he got the Matrix reference right away. Success!
 

The lines are the arrow shaft from MFT Feathers and Arrow Die. I'll have to keep these perfectly skinny lines in mind, as I'm thinking they could be very useful in other designs. 

Thanks so much for looking!
-Kelly

24 comments:

  1. Not sure why I even comment anymore. There are no better words and you must be tired of hearing 'awesome' every single time! lol! This is a fabulous representation of your inspiration and even if the recipient doesn't get the Matrix reference, it's still a darn good card that stands on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Utterly cool card, Kelly! Love your inspiration and you can clearly see it in your card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool Kelly - love the falling letters - the generational stamping gives so much movement to the card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very cool, Kelly ... yep, cool! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Success indeedy! This is awesome!
    Thanks for studying with us on CASE Study this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just too cool! I always see something new and innovative here! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know anything about Matrix but I think this card is very unique and techie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh...I love this! It's not just original, it's so freakin awesome! I get the Matrix, but it also reminds me of the teleporter in the old Star Trek episodes.
    I love the glitter. Your going to have share your technique for that. You applied it flawlessly.
    I think this is one of my all-time favorites. Yes, all-time! The perfect card for any guy...or a sci-fi lovin stamper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neo would be proud Kelly!! What a fun card!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty Awesome!!! That's the COOLEST thing I have seen :) Only you can think of it...Genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous card Kelly! I love the silver strips! They add so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you found the time to join CASE Study! It's always a treat to see your cards, and I'm blown away by your take on my card. So.very.cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lov w your double-CASE combination Kelly!! Totally a success and such a great idea to use the strips of glitter to convey movement!! Also thanks so much for linking up and giving credit, very much appreciated!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very cool! And I can already see the "skinny lines segment" in our future ;) Gave you a shout out today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness Kelly, I always wanted to do this matrix look but nothing clicked my mind... I so wish I had ur mind. You always amaze me !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! This is another CREATIVE take of yours, Kelly! I am loving the rain effect and your design really is FAB on this one! A success indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool. I love the effect, even though I've never seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is genius!! So incredibly cool and funky! You rock!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly