Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A "Nod" to Julie Ebersole at CASE Study


Inspiration today comes from two places:


 1) The fine white lines on kraft with bold and beautiful flowers from this stunning card by Julie Ebersole, who is the muse at CASE Study this month, and


2) The quilted lines surrounding the fish in this cozy-looking quilt from Land of Nod (my favorite kid's room store). 
 

I was going for a feeling of comfort with the stitched lines flowing around the cluster of flowers. Like a great, big, comforting hug. The sentiment worked well to reinforce this intention.

It's been awhile since I used the sewing machine in detail on a card, so I spent some time playing around with the tension to have the bottom layer of thread pull the stitches to the back. I had to decrease the tension to almost 0, and increase the length of my stitches to get this to work. Next time I'll increase the tension a little, as the stitches are a little puckery on top. But it's SO much better now.


The paper-pieced line going to the sentiment was unintentional. The thread in my bobbin ran out. And I was in too much of a hurry to re-wind it. So, paper piecing it is! As is often the case in situations like this, I like the unintended results better. Otherwise, I think the stitching would have competed too much with the stitching around the flowers on the main panel.

Flowers are from the American Crafts SoHo line that I won in a Moxie Fab prize drawer goodie package (thanks Cath, if you're out there!) and the sentiment is from CAS-ual Fridays' Calm and Gentle.


On a side note, I'm so excited with these wooden beauties that I picked up at a local flea market last weekend! There were lots of parts in a big bin that I rummaged through, but these will be perfect for photographing cards. I've never been wild about having the horizon in my photos because I don't like the tone of my ground, or moving the camera to have the horizon in a place that doesn't compete with an element on my card. Kinda like how you don't want to photograph someone with a telephone pole sticking out of their head (I know, I'm crazy-detail-girl!) So using the height from this stand should eliminate that. Does anyone know what they are?? I'd be so impressed if someone gets this!

Thanks so much for looking!
-Kelly

19 comments:

  1. LOVE the stitching you added to the card Kelly, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhh, yay - you posted!!! I have been waiting and waiting, sometimes not so patiently, for you to pop up in my Google Reader again, ha!

    This card is so super-awesome. I can totally see where you got the inspiration, the colours of your flowers are perfect, but then all those wavy lines of stitches just take this to another level!! That is such a perfect detail that I never would have thought of, much less been able to execute!! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stitching adds such a great element to your card Kelly, love your flower choices too. What a great find, they look like door knobs but that is obviously too tiny but you said they were in a big bin...hmmm. I'm stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mash up of the two inspiration cards! I've always loved that card of Julie's and I think your flowers have that same punch! And the "quilting"? Love it! I sew (made quilts but don't consider myself a quilter) and I just love to see those quilt techniques used on paper!

    Don't know what those wooden thingies are but they have a beautiful worn look! They're perfect for photo layouts:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the stitching on your gorgeous card Kelly! You have captured both inspiration photos perfectly. The orange is beautiful with the craft and red. Thank you so much for the tips on the tension and stitch length I am going to try that. That is my biggest problem with paper stitching… I know I just need to play with it.
    Oh my gosh I love your flea market find…… just perfect for photos. I know my photos contend with background junk but it's the best natural light I have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cool card. I love all that stitching. And, your paper piercing looks great, too. What a fun find--but I have no idea what those things are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a quilter but have not stitched on cards for fear of doing something bad to my machine. I love your stitching and may have to get my old machine back from my mom so I can try it. How will I ever make room for 2 sewing machines in my tiny craft room? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just keep coming up with original ideas - amazing! I love this effect and you colouring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a comfy card. The bobbin going empty on you - been there, done that! As for your wooden beauties. Clueless. Would be just too cool if they had something to do with an old print shop...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How truly wonderful, Kelly, a quilted hug ... and that's just what it looks like ... beautifully captured from elements in the two inspiration cards! Could those lovely wooden thingies be bobbins of some kind? Hope you'll let us know when you find out!! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this card Kelly! The quilted effect you created is so lovely! Love both of the inspiration pieces and your wonderful interpretation! I am not sure what the wooden pieces are but they seem wonderful for staging card and project photos! Look forward to hearing what they are from...
    Hugs,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card, Kelly! What a fabulous way to incorporate stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, love the stitching! I am crazy about bold colors against kraft these days-I am certainly getting plenty of inspiration for it. Fine white lines colored or not also intrigue and please my eye. Another beautiful and innovative card, Friend! Keep 'em comin'.

    I can't wait to hear what these wooden pieces really are. In the meantime, I expect to see them often as artistic card props. Another great find!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your original ideas! And this card is one of those! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm typing my 1st comment to YOu after hearing we have a new Pope!
    Your card is magnificent my Friend!

    Thank YOu

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are amazing! This is absolutely fantastic! I love that it's so unique! The stitching was such a great idea!!! Thank you for playing with us at CASE Study Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. so cool! love the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember seeing this card, but I must have forgotten to comment on it.
    Kelly, this card is a clear statement of your artistic abilities! I mean, who else would think of stitching like that! Not only is it just a great idea, it is a very well executed one as well! and it does give a comforting feeling. The stitching holes at the bottom, just perfect! Lucky that your bobbin ran out of thread :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm dying to know what these are, Kell. The one on the left looks like a cog of some sort and the one on the right looks like the indent was for a pully of some sort. Leave it to you to see them and think of pedestals for your cards. Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly